Sunday, December 13, 2020

Well, we made it through the first week!  Your kids are really something.  Their resiliency and positivity inspire me.  I know this is a challenge for families and I want you to know how much I appreciate you, the adults at home trying to work and parent and juggle the world right now.  Regardless if you're sitting next to your second grader or they are working independently, they are flourishing.  I’m sure this is because of all the support and care you have given them.    


I know that we are only covering the very basics- some reading, writing, and math; and at that only about half of what we typically do during a typical in-person day.  However, as I reflect upon the other skills that our kids are working on I feel pleased.  Who would have thought that our kids could present their screen to each other and coach their classmates when their classmate is struggling?  That our young boys and girls would be on task and collaborating in breakout rooms?  When I was bouncing from room to room the other day I heard great conversations about how to sound out words and discussions about what is going on in a story.  Your students are handling their work with enthusiasm and I dare say even professionalism.  What great people you are gifting to the world.  Thank you for letting me be a small part of their life.              


Following is the plan for next week.  In reading we will focus on fables and folktales, in math we will continue to dig deeper with our understanding of base ten, and in writing we are still getting our feet wet with sharing opinions and reviews.  Students have asked if they could sign up to read with me one on one.  I’m happy to build that into our schedule.  Please know that it will be optional and not required- so no pressure.  


The connection times will be the same as this week except specials will be added to their previously reserved time from 11:00-11:45.


9:00-9:30 connection

9:30-9:45 break

9:45-10:45 connection

10:45-11:00 break

11:00-11:45 special

11:45-1:00 lunch break

1:00-1:30 connection

1:30-1:45 break

1:45-3:00 connection

3:00-3:30 catch up connections if needed

3:30-4:00 OPTIONAL connection to read to me one on one.  I will have students sign up on a google doc if they are interested.    



If there is anything I can do for you to help reduce stress or make this experience easier on your family please let me know.  Hang in there and take care. 


June 7

Thank you for sharing your kids with me this year:) Please respond to this simple and short, three-question classroom survey about the year....